Published on:

When it comes to Illinois DUI, your problems do not end with the courts

If you are arrested for an Illinois DUI, two things are at risk. The first is your liberty and property; the second is your driver’s license.

DUI is a crime. As such, you are subject to fines and possible jail time if you are convicted of DUI. For a first DUI offense with no death or injury, a conviction can result in up to 364 days in the county jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

Many Illinois courts will also require to you attend a Victim Impact Panel (VIP), not drink or use drugs or go to taverns during a probationary period, attend a few Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings and obtain a drug and alcohol evaluation. You might also be required to complete Driver Risk Education (DRE) and complete alcohol counseling.

After you are convicted of the DUI, your driver’s license will be revoked. In order to have it returned to you, you must have a hearing with the Illinois Secretary of State.

You may believe that once you have met all the court requirements–paid your fines, done your jail time, not gone to a tavern or consumed alcohol or drugs, obtained your evaluation and completed all your classes–the driver’s license reinstatement hearing would be a simple matter of providing evidence to the Illinois Secretary of State of these accomplishments.

But satisfying the courts does not automatically satisfy the Secretary of State. There are many issues to address, including am I eligible for reinstatement or only a restricted permit; will I be required to install a BAIDD device; what is SR22 insurance; how do I request a hearing; do I want a formal or informal hearing; where will my hearing be held; how long will it take to obtain a hearing; how long before I receive the decision; what other paperwork do I need; do I have to stop drinking forever; do I have to attend AA? Only an Illinois driver’s license reinstatement lawyer can answer these questions and provide you with the guidance and advice you will require in order to navigate the choppy waters of the Secretary of State.

Contact Information